Friday, September 18, 2009

The Mean Mom

I hate to complain but sometimes I feel like I am just that..."The Mean Mom." Ever since Parker has started school I have felt this way. I swear that kid waits to get home to start the complaining, whining, and disobeying. I feel like all I ever do is either yell at him about something, nag on him or send him to his bedroom for disobeying. I forgot to mention that he is mean to his sister, and then she screams. And it is that kind of scream that just hurts your ears. It's painful!! Does anyone know what I am talking about? I don't think that I am alone?? I want to blame it on the fact that he wakes up at 6 am (sometimes earlier) to get ready for school. He says that he does not want to be late for school. And his getting ready for school consists of whining about needing help getting dressed and sometimes going outside to play. Parker has always needed his sleep and you would think that when he needs it the most he would sleep in. When he sleeps in until 6:30 in the morning is much more bearable. I keep telling myself that the newness of school has not worn off yet and this will stop, but when 6 pm rolls around and it is arsenic hour and I am ready to go hide in my closet because I would rather listen to them bang on the door, somethings got to give!! I feel like this person has come and taken me over and I miss being nice and sweet to Parker...I want this "Mean Mom" to go away. Any ideas.....is it just me?? Am I doing something wrong??

Laura-I hope it was okay that I linked to your page? You describe it the best!!

6 comments:

Tiffany said...

This was the same way I felt when Staci started school. I want to say it gets better. But when they start school, they start to test their free agency. I know exactly how it is to feel like you want to hide and lock yourself up. The one thing that helped with Staci was making sure that she still had her one on one attention with me, even if it was only reading a story together for 10 minutes. That saved me from just keeping her in her room, except to come out and eat. As for the other kids and her acting out on them, we had Staci go into her room and wind down after school for her time. She didn't have to rush right home from school and have her brother & sister all over her. She was able to spend 15 minutes after school for her own time and then she had to be with the family (happy). I hope this helps. It is hard when they get away and learn that they can do things all on their own and have to make changes. Hang in! It does get a little better as they get used to their new change in life.

Danielle said...

Oh I remember that so much! The day is so long for the little Kindergartners and it just exhausts them. Madeleine used to burst into tears every afternoon.

Does he wake on his own at 6? I would be dying. They still need like 10 or 11 hours of sleep at night. Victoria isn't getting enough lately and she is a monster!

Another thing that works for us is giving Madeleine a snack in the car on the way home. She is so hungry by the time school is over and she gets so fiesty when she is hungry.

I hope you are able to get some calmer times. It did get a little easier for us as the year got farther along and she adjusted more.

larshannon said...

Adjusting to Kindergarten is a process for the entire family. Sounds like you have gotten some pretty good advice. I'll add my two cents and say just remember that the day might be long, but the weeks fly by. Soon you'll be wishing for a kindergartener...

Arsenic Hour, yeah. You know how I feel about that.

anneliese said...

On a off school day you may want to plan a date with him to talk about how he is doing. He may realize the problem or pointing it out to him when you are not right in the middle of dealing with it can help. either lay out a plan for snack or time to self or earlier to bed or what ever seems may help with the problem. That is such a long day for him. But setting up a new schedule may help with the transition. Once adjusted into the routine life will get much better. Good luck.

Brimaca said...

Whew. M isn't even in school and sometimes I am mean mom. I'm sure it will get better. Our kids go through stages of waking up that early and then it goes away for awhile. I hope that happens for you and everyones advice helps. I haven't been there yet so I will learn from you!

Delcie said...

I looks like you got some great advice! I don't have any to give you, just some encouragement. Hang in there! You will find what works best for Parker and you! Transitions always get easier, with time!